Cheaper Alternatives to Pricy Name Brands


A friend of mine pointed out in my makeup tutorial I only use high-end makeup. For someone just starting their collection, going out and spending hundreds of dollars on makeup can be expensive. It's true I built my collection slowly over time. I will go over what brands I recommended, and cheaper substitutes.

Foundation

I recommended - Smashbox Studio Fix $36/Benefit Hello Flawless $36

These are both pretty expensive. What makes these my favorite foundations is they are light and breathable on the skin. Cheaper foundations tend to be thick and clog your pores. I also tend to get dry skin. Putting on a foundation that moisturizes is like taking care of my skin all day. I wouldn't skimp on the price of a foundation. It's somewhere putting in the money is worth it.

Drugstore Recommendation- Revlon Color Stay $7.99

Powder

I recommended- Kat Von D Lock-It Setting Powder $15.00

I got the "mini size" version not knowing if I would like translucent setting powder or not. Using so little powder every day makes the mini size perfect for my needs. I also saved $17 not getting a full sized powder. I would recommend getting this at Sephora.

Contour

I recommended- Mac Contour+Highlight Kit $30?

It turns out Mac doesn't make the exact contour kit I have anymore. It probably cost me around $30. As much as I love it, contouring is not an essential part of doing makeup for the everyday person. It also seems you can get kits for as low as $6.00 at Target!

Drugstore Recommendation- e.l.f Contour Pallette $6.00

Bronzer

I recommended- Nars Bronzing Powder [Laguna] $40.00

I said, "what the fuck" when I read how much I spent on this bronzing powder. I do love the color, and I love bronzer, but that is pretty absurd. One thing that is great about bronzer is you can use it as a contour. This dual use is another way to save money on makeup. If you don't want to buy contour and bronzer, buy one. The only trick is to make sure you buy a matte bronzer.

Drugstore recommendation- Nyx Professional Makeup Matte Bronzer $8.99

(Nars is currently having a highlight/bronzer sale of Laguna for $24.00)

Blush

I recommended- Nars Blush [Orgasm] $30

I do love this color of blush, but Nyx has a similar color. It has the same rose with gold glitter flecks that make me love Orgasm.

Drugstore recommendation- Nyx High Defenition Blush [Rose Gold] $4.89

Lipstick

I recommended- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick [Lovecraft] $20

(currently on sale for $13!!!)

Lovecraft might not be the perfect color for you, but I would not go with any other brand. I have had the same tube of lipstick for two and a half years; I wear it close to every day. With lip stains, you put them on once at the start of the day and never have to reapply. In the long run, you will save a lot of money because your lipstick will not deplete as quickly. I would recommend for the first color you get to get an everyday neutral that looks good with your skin tone.

Mascara

I recommended- Two Faced Better Than Sex Mascara $24

This mascara is the first non-drugstore makeup I started purchasing regularly. I bought the travel-size version on Black Friday sale (currently $12) and thought it was the best thing to ever happen to my eyes. Afterward, the price tag no longer shocked me. As much as I do love this product, there are cheaper drugstore alternatives which offer lash volume as well.

Drugstore Recommendation- Maybelline Volum' Express The Rocket Mascara $6.99

Eyebrows

I recommended- Anastasia Brow Wiz $23

I never really did my brows until this product. I have naturally arched, very strong, dark eyebrows. What I like about Brow Wiz is it is light and doesn't fill in too much. While I want my eyebrows to make a statement, I don't want them to be the only statement. I have never personally tried the brand I am going to recommend it does have good reviews.

Cheaper Alternative- Ultra Slim Brow Pencil $10

Eyeshadow

I recommended- Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette $54

I love the colors on this palette, and with an individual eyeshadow by Urban Decay costing $20, the palette seems like a deal. Fortunately, Ulta sells a similar palette to Naked 1 (more brown tones fewer rose tones) at a much lower price point.

Cheaper Alternative- L.A Girl Nudes Beauty Brick Eyeshadow Palette $7.99

Hopefully, you found this helpful and informative! If you have any questions or if there is anything I left out hit me up in the comments.

Comments